PUBLIC ART INSTALLATION: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Organisation: Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
Time: 15 June 2012 12:00pm -
Place: Portobello Road North Wall, London
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Presents
PORTOBELLO WALL PUBLIC ART INSTALLATION: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is seeking to commission a work of photography for the Portobello Road North Wall to be installed for approximately six months from October 2012.
The borough aspires to install a striking, beautiful and site-specific art work with content that relates to the local area or speaks to a local audience.
On this occasion, the installation will be a co-commission with the Nour Festival. After just two years, Nour is established as an important festival of contemporary Middle Eastern and North African arts and culture in London. Nour celebrates the arts and culture of these regions, and also from their diaspora communities in the UK and elsewhere (see below for further details).
The commission will be a series of photographs celebrating contemporary Middle Eastern and North African arts and culture in the Golborne area.
In addition, the work must address six key elements listed below. It must be:
1. New work, as a unified composition or with a linked theme
2. Visually striking, and able to make an impact from a distance
3. Site specific
4. Relevant to the local area
5. Suitable for an outdoor site
6. Temporary (6 months, dates to be confirmed)
Your proposal should include:
1. Your CV (equivalent length to a single sheet of A4)
2. A written proposal outlining your project and how it meets the objectives of the commission (max. 250 words)
3. Six hi-res images of your work
4. Confirmation that you are able to deliver the project between the commissioning date of 31 July and the installation date of 1 October
5. A detailed budget showing breakdown of fees, materials, labour etc.
Proposals must be submitted by email by 12 noon on Friday, 15 June 2012 to:
Senior Strategy Officer, Arts and Culture
RB Kensington and Chelsea
London W8 7RX
The wall is approximately 100 metres in length, with a bend towards the northern end (see photograph above). Artwork can be up to approx 2m tall. We encourage proposals that utilise the full length of the wall space, including the section after the bend. It is essential for artists to make a site visit to ensure that their proposal is realisable in practice on the available Wall space.
The location of the wall site tends to attract some graffiti, so this needs to be considered within any proposal.
The budget for the final commission is £6,500 inclusive of all artist fees, materials and labour. The artist must ensure that the work is weather proof and suitable for its setting. Anti-graffiti and anti-vandalism measures must also be factored into the proposal.