SAFAR PLAYLIST: A CELEBRATION OF CONTEMPORARY ARAB CINEMA SONGS by Rosa Pérez
The third edition of our film festival SAFAR was a success! We cannot thank enough to all the people who supported and attended it. Safar 2016 came to an end on 18 September but we are still on a high and we want to keep celebrating Contemporary Arab Cinema. This time we are doing it through music. Rosa has compiled a list of tunes that appear in contemporary Arab films for you to discover new titles and…groove! These are just a few. We would love to discover new songs and film titles too, so please, feel free to send your suggestions over and keep the fun going!
Scroll down to find the list of songs and films. ENJOY!
- Dalaouna Dance – إلكترو دبكة | Bosta, Lebanon, 2005, Directed by Philippe Aractingi
- Jardin Perdu – Tino Rossi | This Little Father Obsession/ Imbarator el-Nemsa, Lebanon, 2016, Written and directed by: Sélim Mourad
- Stewart Copeland | West Beirut/West Beyrouth, 1988, Lebanon, Directed by Ziad Doueiri
- I put a spell On You (Arabic version) | Divine Intervention/Yadon ilaheyya, 2002, France, Morocco, Germany, Palestine, Directed by Elia Suleiman
- Ana Alby Dalili – Layla Mourad | The Time that Remains, 2009, Palestine, Directed by Elia Suleiman
- Youssra El Hawary – Belmazboot | Speed Sisters, 2015, USA, Palestine, UK, Denmark, Qatar, Canada, Directed by Amber Fares
- Mel Fadda (From Boredom/De l’ennui) (Studio Version)- Composed by Khyam Allami sang by Baya Medhaffar | As I Open my Eyes, 2015, Tunisia/France/Belgium/United Arab Emirates, directed by Leyla Bouzid.
- Touir Ellil (Bird Of The Night/Oiseau de nuit) (Rehearsal Version) – Composed by Khyam Allami sang by Baya Medhaffar |As I Open my Eyes/ على حلّة عيني 2015, Tunisia/France/Belgium/United Arab Emirates, directed by Leyla Bouzid.
- Music from The Silence of the Palaces/Samt el Qusur, 1994, France, Tunisia, Directed by Moufida Tlatli.
- Apo & the Apostles – Baji Wenek / باجي وينك Mai Mourad |Speed Sisters, 2015, USA, Palestine, UK, Denmark, Qatar, Canada, Directed by Amber Fares
- Hashishet Albi | Where do we go now?/w halla’ la wayn?, 2011, Lebanon, France, Egypt, Italy, Directed by Nadine Labaki
- Succar Ya Banat-Caramel by Khaled Mouzanar- Caramel/Sukkar Banat, 2007, Lebanon, Directed by Nadine Labaki
- Ya Tayr El Tayer – Mhammad Assaf | The Idol/ Ya Tayr El Tayer, 2015, Netherlands, UK, Qatar, Argentina, Egypt, Palestine, UAE, Directed by Hany Abu-Assad
- أبعد مكان – فريق ماسكارا| Microphone, 2010, Egypt, Directed by Ahmad Abdalla
- The Brothers – Jerry Lane, London Contemporary Orchestra | Theeb, 2014, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, United Kingdom, Directed by Naji Abu Nowar
- George McCrae – Rock Your Baby | West Beirut/West Beyrouth, 1988, Lebanon, Directed by Ziad Doueiri
- Tony Gatlif – Latcho Drom, Les Musiciens Du Nil: Bambi Saidi | West Beirut/West Beyrouth, 1988, Lebanon, Directed by Ziad Doueiri
- Gamr El-Hawa جمر الهـــوى – Mohammed Mounir | Destiny/Al-Massir, 1997, Egypt, France, Directed by Youssef Chahine