Image Credit – Re:Creative Film School, South London Gallery
In collaboration with the Safar 2018 film festival, Palestinian filmmaker Saeed Taji Farouky will lead a two-day project development workshop for up to six early – mid career Arab filmmakers or filmmakers working on projects connected to or inspired by the Arab world. Covering both documentary and fiction projects, either short or feature-length films, the two day workshop will provide each participant dedicated time to discuss their film’s narrative, possibilities for funding and explore options for distribution. The sessions will be intensive, collaborative, and confidential, so a willingness to share ideas and foster a supportive environment is essential.
Filmmakers should apply with a project already in mind, and it can be at any stage from development to early production. For the application, applicants will need to answer a short series of questions about their filmmaking, and submit a short (1-page maximum) synopsis of their film idea.
Participants will be selected by The Arab British Centre staff and workshop facilitator Saeed Taji Farouky. The selection process will ensure inclusion from underrepresented groups in the film industry and consider; income level, sex, sexuality, gender, race and ability.
The workshop is free for all participants. The cost of lunch and travel from within London will be provided.
The deadline for submissions has now passed. Applicants will get an email saying whether they have been selected or not by 5pm, Friday August 17. Please do not hesitate to send any questions in the meantime to email@example.com
The Arab British Centre strongly advises candidates to save their application in a separate document. This application cannot be saved online and will be deleted if you navigate away from the page. If you do not receive an automated email confirming your submission, please contact The Arab British Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The workshop is open to early – mid career Arab filmmakers or filmmakers whose projects are connected to or inspired by the Arab world
- Participants do not need to have experience, but do need to have a passion to learn about film and a willingness to work as a group
- Participants have to be able to attend both days: Saturday September 8 and Sunday September 9, 2018, from 10-6pm
- The workshop will be conducted in English and proficiency in English is essential.
The Arab British Centre will provide:
- Free Participation
- Travel will be covered up to £10 per day
- A light lunch and refreshments each day
The Arab British Centre will not provide:
- Costs of long distance travel
- Entry is open to residents of the UK
- The entrant(s) must be aged 18 or over. Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- Entries that are illegible, indecipherable, incomplete or false, will not be valid and deemed void.
- All entries must be made directly by the person applying for the workshop.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries lost due to computer error. The Arab British Centre strongly advises candidates save their application in a separate document before submitting. If you do not receive an automated email confirming your submission, please contact The Arab British Centre on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The SAFAR Development Workshop may be modified or withdrawn at any time.
- The participant agrees to the use of their name and photograph in press and communications, and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests by The Arab British Centre relating to SAFAR publicity.
- Failure to respond to correspondence from The Arab British Centre and British Council or failure to meet the eligibility requirements may result in removal from the workshop.
- The workshop is as stated, and is not transferable to another individual.
- The participant is responsible for expenses and arrangements not specifically included in the workshop.