COMING SOON – CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Arab British Centre Award for Culture 2017 will recognise an individual or an organisation, that has made the most constructive contribution to British understanding of Arab culture in the past two years.The prize is open to individuals and organisations working in any field. In addition to the cash prize, The Arab British Centre will provide the winner with opportunities to promote their work more widely. Applications will be welcome directly from individuals and organisations that wish to be considered for the award, as well as third party nominees.
The Arab British Centre Award for Culture is a biennial prize that celebrates those who have significantly contributed to the dissemination of Arab arts and culture and furthered dialogue and understanding of the Arab world in the United Kingdom.
The award series was established in 2008 for the purpose of raising awareness of contemporary Arab culture in the UK and to give financial support to individuals and organisations in the early/mid-stages of their career. The Award for Culture is a successor to the Arab British Culture & Society Award, which ran for four years between 2008 & 2011 and celebrated organisations which had made a considerable impact on the British public’s understanding of the life, society and culture of the Arab world. Winners of that prize were Al Saqi Books, Zaytoun, Liverpool Arabic Arts Festival and Al Jazeera English. In 2013 the first Arab British Centre Award for Culture was presented to the London-based, Iraqi playwright, Hassan Abdul Razaq, whose plays address issues in the Arab world.
For more information about the eligibility criteria and application process, please see below.
- The awards are open to individuals or organisations who have made a significant contribution to the dissemination of Arab arts and culture and furthered dialogue and understanding of the Arab world in the United Kingdom, with the exception of:
- A previous winner of The Arab British Centre Award for Culture and Society
- A current Arab British Centre resident organisation
- The candidate’s work must be accessible to the British public and must have been executed or delivered in the UK within the past 2 years
- Candidate may apply directly or may be nominated by a third party
- Previously shortlisted or nominated candidates are eligible to apply
The judging panel will consider the following criteria when selecting the winner for the AWARD FOR CULTURE 2017
- EDUCATION: Has the individual’s work made a constructive contribution to British understanding of Arab culture?
- QUALITY: Can the individual’s work be considered original, insightful and honest?
- IMPACT: What is the impact of the individual’s work on British audiences?
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT: What effect would winning the Award have on the individual?